User Experience (UX) Developers at Alley work at the intersection of web development, design, and information architecture. Your responsibilities will range from prototyping projects alongside designers to construction and maintenance of high-traffic front-ends.
Our UX Developers need to be well-versed in the fast-changing landscape of front-end technologies and practices, excited about keeping our team at the cutting edge, and eager to work directly with clients to help them solve interesting and novel business plans.
We’re not looking for rockstars, zombies, or magicians. We’re looking for motivated, creative, and resourceful developers who want to partner with impressive clients and who take pride in their work.
We recognize several levels of career progression for developers and tie compensation to those levels corresponding to their seniority and experience. We are looking for all levels of developers for this position.
- You share our passion for making the web indexable and accessible through a deep and practical understanding of semantic HTML5.
- Translating designs into CSS is one of our core services to clients. It’s important you have an understanding of modern concepts such as flexbox, CSS Custom Properties, and CSS Grid. You also are familiar with CSS preprocessors, their syntax, and their usage.
- You are comfortable with modern ES standards and understand transpilers and module bundlers. Familiarity with Node.js and webpack are not requirements, but are a big plus.
- Maintainable code makes a maintainable website, part of which is separating presentation and business logic and creating clean, organized front-end templates to do it. Understanding of React components, JSX, and PHP Templating are a big plus.
- Alley takes site performance seriously—sites should be beautiful and usable, but also fast. You’re familiar with front-end speed and performance concerns and you know common strategies to alleviate them.
- Users access sites in unexpected ways, so you should be used to dealing with compatibility issues and checking your work systematically on various devices and browsers.
- You should feel comfortable at a Unix command line, even if you aren’t an expert.
- You must know your way around git and understand version control well, and be able to carry out typical operations with it, including branching, merging, submitting code for peer review, and reviewing your peers’ code yourself.
- We apply Scrum as a development methodology, and broadly endorse Agile as a philosophy. You must be open to working this way as well, and prior experience is a plus.
- You should also have very strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to wield them with both team members and clients.
- Discipline concerning delivery dates, stylistic appreciation of what makes code good and readable, and a committed attitude about documentation, user stories, issue tracking, and timesheets are all very important skills for our developers to have.
We offer competitive salaries and company subsidized medical, dental and vision benefits. We also offer a 401(k) with company matching, a profit sharing plan, and a monthly lunch allowance.
We have no set hours and do not limit vacation or sick time. We trust our team members to get their work done and take the time off they need to recharge, and we suggest an average of three weeks off per year.
We are a fully distributed company, meaning we don’t have a set work location. Team members can choose to work from home or from a co-working space. We’ll furnish your home office or rent you a co-working space.
Alley is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
Recruiters: Please do NOT contact us about this job. All hiring duties at Alley are carried out by our staff.